Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Berkeley, More Than Just Hippies!

Although I hate to admit it... Berkeley >> Stanford. Of course, I mean the city and not the school! Fact is, their football team is better, but I don't exactly have the track record for choosing to go to the best sport school... When it comes to the important things in life, i.e. food, there is no contest. Berkeley gave Stanford smackdown. In summary, if you haven't been to Palo Alto, you aren't missing much. If you haven't been Berkeley however, make plans to do so NOW! From Palo Alto, Berkeley is a good one hour's drive. As a consequence, I haven't made it over there as often as I would like.

Fortunately, Berkeley is on the way to Tahoe! Believe me when I say that there is no better rest stop on the entire three and half hour journey to the slopes! Usually, I find myself stopping at the Cheeseboard Pizza Collective. It serves some of the BEST PIZZA in America. You read that right! AMERICA! Unfortunately, I was driving up to Tahoe alone this past weekend, and since I physically can't just get one or two slices of Pizza whenever I go, I opted to eat at Gregoire, another Berkeley gem, instead. But it isn't like I settled. When you go, you'll realize that no explanation is necessary.


Gregoire Restaurant, Berkely, CA

This classic Berkeley restaurant sums up what I love about the Bay Area. Simply put, it is a restaurant that offers natural and organic meals that are meticulously prepared in the french tradition. This take out restaurant is small, but the food is anything but small. Remember my last post about potatoes? Well Gregoire makes some of the BEST potatoes! You HAVE to go an order their potato puffs!



Takeout Boxes!



Crispy Potato Puffs ($4.50)


Roasted Leg of Lamb with Tomato Chutney & Fresh Mint on Ciabatta ($8.25)

Doesn't it look great? It sure tastes great! Besides I can't think of another restaurant that gives out plasticware that looks like silverware! Although the octagonal boxes are not the most efficient use of materials, it IS instantly recognizable and relatively environmentally friendly. Great place to grab lunch or dinner.

Happy hunting!

Gregoire 4.5/5

1 comment:

  1. those first two pictures look so professional, i thought you got them from the website!

    ReplyDelete