Tuesday, July 28, 2009

No Sushi. No Combination Plates.

I love when people visit! PL, EK, and DS were here this weekend. Too bad SM didn't come up, but we'll make her feel guilty about this later... Besides catching up, having inane conversations about word definitions, and just being nerdy together; the reason I love visitors is because it affords the perfect excuse to try new places and to be adventurous.

This past week, I had some of the most unique and interesting Japanese food from a little restaurant in the Outer Richmond called Kappou Gomi. As the title of this post suggests, there are no rolls or bento boxes here. What you find instead is a fabulous mix of flavors and textures that tickle the taste buds!

Kappou Gomi
Jellyfish Salad
Agedeshi Tofu
Kampachi Yuzumiso Ae
Grilled Tako
Rice in Broth...
Miso Pork
Egg...
Eggplant
Panko Fried Oysters
Salmon Rice
Japanese Sweets

BTW. I apologize for forgetting some names...

Anyways, I really like how unassuming it is. However, my number one pet peeve is that of inefficiency. Even though I really liked the food, don't know if I could bear the inefficiencies. Let me explain. There are about six or seven tables that could seat 4-8 people. Three of the larger tables are made up of two or three smaller tables. Therefore, in reality there is more like nine tables in the restaurant, plus a bar. Unfortunately, the staff at Kappou Gomi allows groups of two to sit at the larger tables that are comprised of smaller tables without separating the tables. One consequence is that if you don't come in at the right time, you have to wait a while for people to leave. I felt rushed towards the end of our meal because I can't handle the non verbal communications we were getting from people in line. Fortunately, the staff didn't rush us...

Otherwise, I enjoyed myself thoroughly here. Food was great, and company was better! I highly recommend that you try this place if you are in the mood for adventure... Don't really know how "authentic" or "traditional" the food is, but it is definitely unique.

Kappou Gomi 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment