Monday, July 13, 2009

Ono Kine Grindz

As a weathered Luau attendee, I was on a mission to find some local grindz. One place that definitely did not dissapoint was Ono's.


Out of all of the places that we ate, Ono's is pretty much as local as you can get. Read the sign (above) that greets you at the door! "No get mad." It gets me every time. I am told there is always a line at Ono's. Fortunately, we didn't have to wait at all. Must have somehow missed the lunch crowd... In retrospect though, we were pretty lucky all trip with lines (Ono's, Rainbows, Waiola's, and even Diamond Head). It is almost as if we kept bringing the crowds... haha.

Anyways, AO and I were on a mission, so we didn't order a whole lot at Ono's. Just got some Lau Lau (Pork in Taro leaves), Poi (Mashed Taro), and Lomi Salmon. Doesn't look all that impressive, but pretty freaking tasty. Not a fan of poi myself, but AO insisted on getting some... We'll just say that she didn't finish it. Overall a pretty good meal. Kind of a little pricey for a plate lunch, but probably some of the best Lau Lau I have had....

Lau Lau, Poi, Lomi Salmon, Ono's

Next we meandered down Kapahulu to Rainbow Drive-In. I was on a mission to get myself a locomoco bowl. Sadly, I got distracted by the sign reading... "Fried Chicken Special." Nonetheless, the food was good. I especially liked AO's Pork Long Rice. This place was cheap too! Best kind of eats!



Rainbow Drive-In
Fried Chicken SpecialPork Long Rice

Predictably, we saved room for some dessert. So we walked some more on Kapahulu Ave, and indulged on some Shave Ice at Waiola's. I definitely recommend it!


AO with her Rainbow with Snow Cap
Custard Bowl

Looks boring right?

Surprise!

This was so good, I went back the next day to get another one! I think we out did ourselves... Definitely one of the best three eating-hours spent in recent months.

Ono's 3.5/5
Rainbow Drive-In 4/5
Waiola's 5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment