Monday, March 2, 2009

Battle Ramen

Since I moved here, I have been on the prowl for THE perfect bowl of Ramen. Some readers might wonder why a foodie may even crave Ramen in the first place. The unfortunate fact is that most people associate the word Ramen with the instant noodles of the same name. Clearly, I haven't been searching for said instant noodles. Rather, I am referring to the Japanese noodle dish that tends to be served in a meat-based broth, and uses toppings such as sliced pork, nori, kamaboko, green onions, and corn. I didn't grow up with Ramen, so to describe it as something that reminds me of home is rather misleading. But one cannot deny the homestyle essence/quality of a good old fashioned bowl of Ramen.

Today, I present you with the first of a series of Ramen Battles that will help you become acquainted with the world of Ramen.

Round 1: Ryowa Ramen House Vs. Kahoo Ramen

First we have the Buttercorn Ramen from Ryowa Ramen House in Mountain View. The Ramen is absolutely delicious! In the Buttercorn Ramen, one can find pork, two types of mushrooms, green onions, corn, and seaweed. Also, there is literally a tablespoon of butter that is melting in the broth. I especially like the Buttercorn Ramen because the addition of corn gives the dish a crisp texture and amazing color. Doesn't it look extra appetizing? They say that you eat first with your eyes and nose. Arg. I am getting hungry!

What makes Ryowa great is that it also has a dish called Special Fried Chicken. Everyone knows how I feel about fried chicken! The chicken pieces are tender and crisp and come with japanese mayo and a vinaigrette of some sort. YuMMM

Next we have the Spicy Miso Ramen with Vegetables from Kahoo Ramen. I am a bit partial to the broth here. It is a little thicker than the one at Ryowa and perfectly seasoned with a kick of spicyness. Normally I am not a fan of cabbage, but for some reason, I really enjoy the cabbage in this bowl of Ramen.


After multiple taste tests, Ryowa Wins! Although, this wasn't really a fair battle. The Fried Chicken is like a secret weapon.

Ryowa Ramen - 4.5/5
Kahoo Ramen - 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment