Friday, March 20, 2009

Fusion NOT

Fusion cuisine has taken America by storm. Predominantly in the form of "Asian Fusion." According to Stuff White People Like...

"While white people enjoy venturing to ethnic parts of town to satisfy their pallette, most would prefer to take their first dates and parents to a place with dimmer lights, less water tanks with crabs and lobsters wishing that they would die, less ducks hanging from the window and table cloths that aren’t plastic sheets. Some people caught on to this and decided to open Fusion Asian restaurants. These people are now very rich. Fusion restaurants offer a mix of all Asian foods (except Indian, but most don’t know that India is part of Asia) in an atmosphere that resembles a cocktail lounge in the West Village as opposed to Hong Kong. Basically you can eat exotic, in comfortable surroundings. Many are not shy to admit that the food is subpar and overpriced, but they still line up for hours to get in because they love the decor and the mix drinks. These places often have names with no Asian words or characters in them and are limited to two syllables. ie) Ginger, Spring Rolls, Wild Rice, Sumile. Sometimes the names are really clever like “Asiate”, get it?"

I am not ashamed to admit that I too am a fan of Asian Fusion restaurants, even though I also think the food is often overpriced. I guess the way to my heart is a great atmosphere, company, and time. Having amazing drinks doesn't hurt either! This is why I love Buddakan, Morimoto, Roy's, Nobu, Bong Su, Tamarine, etc.

So here is a theorem for you....

1) I love Fusion Restaurants
2) I am an adventurous Foodie

Therefore, I like to try any new fusion restaurants

A corollary of this theorem is that sometimes, there will be fusion flops. Restaurants like Temptations in Mountain View should never exist. Seriously, Indian Chinese Fusion? It sounded interesting at first, but as soon as I went inside, I realized that this was a fusion NOT.

I must point out that the food here is not bad. The concept however, is horrible! First of all, they didn't have many dishes that tried to combine elements of both distinct cuisines. The entrees were either Indian or Chinese, and never both. It almost felt like going to eat at a food court.

Here is a sampling of the things we got... As you can see, most of the things here were Indian...


Food wasn't all that memorable... That is why I have no idea what it is that I ordered... I probably won't be going back, but you should definitely be adventurous and check it out.

Temptations 2.5/5


No comments:

Post a Comment