Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Camino Inka...

They say that all roads lead to Rome. At one point, it did. Essential to the growth of the Roman Empire, the road system spanned some 53,000 miles and was considered an engineering marvel of its time.

Given that the Inca road system, or Qhapaq Nan, was equally advanced for its time, it is interesting to me that no one ever says: "all roads lead to Cuzco." If one thinks about the evolution of Peruvian vs. Italian cuisine however, than it becomes clear that in terms of food, all roads and influences do indeed lead to Peru (Improbable Fusion).

At Fresca in San Francisco, you can taste first hand the combinations of international flavors that make up Peruvian Cuisine. Here I am presenting better illustrations of the uniqueness of Peruvian food. The Lomo Saltado, a classic example of the influence by the Chinese, consists of tender slices of beef sauteed with french fries, onions, and tomatos. Delicious and colorful, this dish is something that always makes me feel better and think of home.

I am not really sure how the Aji de Gallina came about, but it is delicious! Shredded pieces of Chicken cooked with a cheese sauce... yummmm. Makes me hungry just thinking about it. Of course, a Peruvian meal would be incomplete without some Ceviche. I ordered the classic Ceviche 5 Elementos. In fact, I usually just stick to this classic, although I must point out that Fresca has a wide assortment of Ceviches such as the Ceviche Chino (ahi tuna tartare, guacamole, pisco-ponzu, aji verde, and lettuce cups).

I didn't order it this time, but I highly recommend the Seco de Cordero (braised lamb shank, white bean "tacu-tacu", butternut-cilantro sauce, pickled onions). At Fresca, dishes are simple and nicely executed. I only wish they made more traditional dishes... Where is my Cuy?

Lomo Saltado ($18)
Causa Tasting ($)
Aji de Gallina ($16)
Conchitas ($12)
Ceviche 5 Elementos ($12)

Fresca (4/5)

No comments:

Post a Comment